Sunday, August 12, 2007

A Short Trip to the Hospital

I had quite the adventure last week - and not the kind Mommy and Daddy typically enjoy! I was sick and had a fever since late July, and the doctors at first thought I had a virus, and then an infection. After more than a week, and then taking antibiotics (which didn't work), my pediatrician diagnosed me with Kawasaki disease, which is a kind of vasculitis, or inflammation of the arteries. It was very scary because if it is not treated, it can lead to heart aneurysms and other problems. You can read a lot more about it here or here, but I will just say that I was a very unhappy and grumpy boy until they figured out what was wrong with me. Anyway, the doctor sent me to the hospital to get a treatment called IVIG, which was not much fun either (they had a lot of trouble getting needles & IVs into my swollen hands and feet!) but it did the job and made me all better! Here is a picture of me modeling my hospital gown and the hateful IV (taped to my foot.) I had to stay for 2 nights in the hospital but am home now and almost back to my normal happy self. Here are Daddy & me waiting for the doctor to come and discharge me.
It has been a hectic and stressful couple of weeks, so Mommy & Daddy want me to thank everyone for the kind thoughts and prayers, and offers of assistance. Hopefully, we will soon return to our regularly scheduled programming!

Love,

Bryce (and Mommy & Daddy)

2 comments:

Homewiththekids said...

Oh my goodness, what a trouble maker! Hospitals are not fun at all, especially for worried moms and dads. We're glad it all turned out fine. Cath and Keith

Anonymous said...

I found your blog through Flickr - my son had Kawasaki as well, and I can well imagine how scary it was for you all. Hope you are feeling better now and there are no complications.